Thanks ACS Energy Letters for the Energy Spotlight piece about out paper. Read the piece here, and check out the paper on our Publications page!
Abby and Dr. Leite release a new paper in ACS Energy Letters, entitled "Machine Learning Enables Prediction of Halide Perovskites’ Optical Behavior with >90% Accuracy". Thanks to all our collaborators!
The Leite Lab takes Spring MRS by storm! Marina delivers two invited talks, Abby and Peifen also give talks on hybrid perovskites and photonics, respectively.
Marina presents a summary of the group's work and its connection to the College of Engineering Next Level Research Vision at the Engineering on Tap online event. Thank you to our Associate Dean for Research, Raissa, for invitation.
Big congrats to Peifen for receiving the 2023 College of Engineering (COE) Excellence in Graduate Student Research Award. Go Peifen!
Kevin and Micah's paper entitled "Optical Tunability and Characterization of Mg−Al, Mg−Ti, and Mg−Ni Alloy Hydrides for Dynamic Color Switching Devices" is published in ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. Read the paper on our Publications page now.
Marina presents the Colloquium in the Chemistry Department at the Federal University of Pernambuco and the one in the Physics Department at the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco (Brazil). Big thanks to Claudete and Ferraz for these invitations!
Tao, Peifen, and Dr. Leite submit a new paper to ACS Applied Optical Materials entitled "Scalable Superabsorbers and Color Filters Based on Earth-Abundant Materials". Well done all!
Professor Leite honored in Optica's Women in Science Tribute. Thanks for the kind words!
Marina presents a seminar at the Physics Department in Recife, Brazil. Thanks Anderson and Cid, for the kind invitation!
Leite Lab grad student Abby Hering presents her research in a talk entitled "Automated Optical Measurements and Machine Learning Analysis of Cs-FA Halide Perovskites" at SPIE Photonics West. Great job Abby!
Congrats to Ece for advancing to candidacy. Great job Ece!
Abby presents our work on machine learning applied to hybrid perovskites at the SPIE Photonics West Meeting in San Francisco. Well done Abby!
The group presented some of our recent results at the Fall Materials Research Society (MRS) Meeting in person and virtual. Marina gave two invited talks, Margaret presented her work on refractory materials for high-temperature photonics, and Abby gave a talk on the potential of machine learning to forecast the behavior of perovskites.
Congrats to Margaret on advancing to candidacy. Well done Margaret!
Marina presents an invited talk on machine learning applied to perovskites at the nanoGe meeting. Thanks Qiang, for the invitation - it was awesome to be back to in-person meetings!
Marina presents the group's work on photonics at the FiOS - Frontiers in Optics + Laser Science. Thanks Willie for the kind invitation!
Leite Lab members Abby, Ece, Mansha, and Peifen attend the UC Davis CHMS Graduate Research Symposium, where Peifen is awarded the Best Poster Presentation award. Congratulations!
Marina gives a Keynote talk at the LAOP - Latin American Optics and Photonics Conference. Thank you Anderson for the kind invitation!
Congrats to Peifen for advancing her candidacy. Well done Peifen!
Awards/Honors: M. S. Leite
17. National Academy of Engineering, invited participant of Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium 2018
16. National Academy of Engineering, invited participant of EU-US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium 2017
15. APS Ovshinsky Sustainable Energy Fellowship 2016
14. UMD Graduate School Research and Scholarship Award (RASA) 2015
13. Maryland Academy of Science Young Outstanding Scientist Award 2014
12. Best Poster Award – 40th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 06/2014
11. UMD College of Engineering Minta Martin Award 05/2014
10. Best Poster Award – 37th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 06/2011
9. Honor Award for 2007-2009 PhD Theses in Physics – Brazilian Physical Society 2010
8. IUPAP Young Author Best Paper Award (28th ICPS, Vienna, Austria) 07/2008
7. Young Investigator Award (Summer School on Modern Concepts for Creating and Analyzing
Surfaces and Nanoscale Materials, Girona, Spain) 05/2008
6. Best student poster award (13th Brazilian Workshop on Semiconductor Physics) 04/2007
5. Graduate fellowship (São Paulo Research Foundation, Brazil) 03/2004 – 09/2007
4. DAAD Fellowship (German Academia Exchange Service) 03 – 09/2006
3. 55th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting (Germany) 07/2005
2. Maters fellowship (CAPES Foundation, Brazil) 08/2003 – 07/2003
1. Undergraduate research fellowship (CAPES Foundation, Brazil) 04/1998 – 12/2000
Awards/Honors: team members while under Leite’s guidance
74. Peifen Lyu – UC Davis CHMS Graduate Student Symposium Best Poster Award, 2022
73. Margaret Duncan – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2022
72. Meghna Srivastava – Fall MRS Meeting Best Poster Award, 2020
71. John M. Howard – Fall MRS Meeting Best Poster Award, 2019
70. John M. Howard – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship for Summer 2019
69. John M. Howard – Ann G. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship (UMD), fall 2019.
68. John M. Howard – UMD Graduate School Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Grant, 2018
67. Natalie Schwab – selected to JUAMI ( Joint Undertaking for African Materials Institute, NSF funded summer school), 2018
66. Zack Benson – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, Summer 2018
65. Zack Benson – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2018
64. Sabrina Curtis – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2018
63. Alan Kaplan – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2018
62. Natalie Schwab – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship honorable mention, 2018
61. John M. Howard – Harry K. Wells Graduate Fellowship (UMD), AY 2018-2019.
60. Julia Huddy – “best technical work” award. NSF-REU in ‘Transportation Electrification’ at UMD, Summer 2017.
59. Elizabeth Tennyson – Silver Medal Graduate Student Award finalists for the MRS Fall Meeting, 2017
58. John Howard – The Jacob K. Goldhaber travel grant, Spring 2017
57. Alexander Yulaev – 2nd place poster award at AVS Mid-Atlantic DC Regional Meeting, Spring 2017
56. Alan Kaplan – ASPIRE Summer research fellowship, Summer 2017
55. Elizabeth Tennyson – All-S.T.A.R. Fellowship, Academic year 2017-18
54. Chen Gong – 2nd place at OSA/SPIE Student Poster Competition in Optics and Photonics, Spring 2017
53. Elizabeth Tennyson – honorable mention at OSA/SPIE Student Poster Competition in Optics and Photonics, Spring 2017
52. Elizabeth Tennyson – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, Summer 2017
51. Chen Gong – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, Summer 2017
50. Elizabeth Tennyson – Best Student Presentation finalist, 44th IEEE PVSC, 2017
49. Zinab Jadidi – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2017
48. John Howard – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Honorable Mention, 2017
47. Elizabeth M. Tennyson – selected to participate on ARPA-e student program at the energy innovation summit. Washington, D.C.
46. Elizabeth Tennyson – Hulka Graduate Fellowship – UMERC, Clark School of Engineering, UMD, 2017.
45. Chen Gong – Harry K. Wells Graduate Fellowship – UMERC, Clark School of Engineering, UMD, 2017.
44. Chen Gong – UMD Ann G. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship, 2017/2018. (declined)
43. Alan Kaplan – ASPIRE MTech Fellowship, Spring 2017.
42. Elizabeth Tennyson – UMD PhD student selected to represent the graduate program at Frontiers in Optics Laser Science (FiO/LS) Meeting, Fall 2016.
41. Zinab Jadidi – single UMD student selected to present her REU Electrification Transportation award winning research at the Council on Undergraduate Research’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates Symposium, at NSF.
40. Zinab Jadidi – UMD Electrification Transportation REU/NSF Best overall project, summer 2016.
39. Elizabeth Tennyson – UMD Graduate Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship, 2016/2017.
38. Brady Gunnarsson – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, summer 2016.
37. Elizabeth Tennyson – Selected to participate at JUAMI – Join US Africa Materials Institute summer school, summer 2016.
35. Dr. Mariama Dias – Schlumberger Foundation Faculty of the Future post-doc fellowship, Aug 2016 – July 2017.
34. Alexander Yulaev – AVS Mid-Atlantic DC Regional Meeting, poster presentation honorable mention, May 2016.
33. Garrett Wessler – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2016.
32. Elizabeth Tennyson – Hulka Energy Research Fellowship from the A. James Clark School of Engineering, 2016.
31. Garrett Wessler – MSE/UMD “Best student research award“, 2016.
30. Elizabeth Tennyson – single MSE student selected for the Univ. North Carolina MRS Graduate Student Exchange Meeting (40 min seminar), Spring 2016.
29. Brady Gunnarsson – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, Spring 2016.
28. Zinab Jadidi – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, Spring 2016.
27. Elizabeth Tennyson – IREAP/UMD Graduate Student Speaker award, Fall 2015.
26. Cinthya Yu (California Polytechnic State University, CA) wins one of the two REU-NSF best presentation award, Summer 2015.
25. Clayton Blathy (Central College, Iowa) wins one of the two REU-NSF best presentation award, Summer 2015.
24. Elizabeth Tennyson – UMD ResearchFest overall winner, June 2015.
23. Chen Gong – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, June 2015.
22. Elizabeth Tennyson – UMD Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, June 2015.
21. Garrett Wessler – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, Summer 2015.
20. Elizabeth Tennyson – OSA/SPIE Student Poster Competition at UMD, 1st place, April 2015.
19. Dr. Mariama Dias – Schlumberger Foundation Faculty of the Future post-doc fellowship, Aug 2015 – July 2016.
18. Eric Bailey – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2015.
17. Allen Chang – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2015.
16. Elizabeth Tennyson – NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Honorable Mention, 2015.
15. Mariana Rico – UMD Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Education (OMSE) Academy of Academic Excellence Award, Spring 2015.
14. Eric Bailey – Kim Borsavage and Pamela J. Stone Student Award for Outstanding Service from the Clark School of Engineering at UMD, Spring 2015.
13. Allen Chang – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, Spring 2015.
12. Allen Chang – MSE Outstanding Research Award, Spring 2015.
11. Eric Bailey – Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering Chairman’s Outstanding Senior Award, Spring 2015.
10. Allen Chang – Outstanding ASPIRE Student Research Award, Spring 2015.
9. Elizabeth Tennyson – The Jacob K. Goldhaber travel grant, Spring 2015.
8. Chen Gong – The Jacob K. Goldhaber travel grant, Fall 2014.
7. Eric Bailey – UMD Seeds fellowship, Fall 2014.
6. Allen Chang – UMD ASPIRE Fellowship, Fall 2014.
5. Allen Chang – IREAP Undergraduate Student Award, Summer 2014.
4. Ellen Cesewski – IREAP Undergraduate Student Award, Summer 2014.
3. Christopher Yeager – IREAP Undergraduate Student Award, Summer 2014.
2. Eric Bailey – Summer Scholars Program at MIT, Center for Materials Science and Engineering, Summer 2014.
1. Elizabeth Tennyson – Best poster award at 40th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, June 2014.
Awards/Honors of Leite Lab alumni:
2. W. Brady Gunnarsson – NSF GRFP, 2019
1. Elizabeth M. Tennyson – Marie Sklodowska-Curie post-doc fellowship, 2019